This Page

has been moved to new address

Homemade Biquick Style Baking Mix

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Heart For Home: Homemade Biquick Style Baking Mix

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Homemade Biquick Style Baking Mix

Recently my mom told me that she heard on the radio that Bisquick Baking Mix has one of the highest price mark-ups of any convenience mix. So, when a recipe I planned to make for Thanksgiving called for Bisquick mix I decided to try to find a homemade alternative.

After searching for "Homemade Bisquick Mix" I was disappointed that all of the recipes seemed to call for shortening. We try to stay away from hydrogenated oils and haven't bought shortening in years. However, with a little more searching I came across this non-shortening recipe from Kate at Cooking During Stolen Moments.

Homemade Bisquick Mix

5 cups flour
2 T baking powder
2 t salt
1/4 c sugar
1/2 c dry milk powder
3/4 t baking soda
1/2 c butter

1. Combine all of the dry ingredients. Cut butter or margarine into the mixture with a pastry cutter or two knives (or your fingers) until crumbly. Store in a well-sealed container in the freezer.

So far, I've used this recipe to make the "Bisquick Mix" needed for a crustless pumpkin pie and to make pancakes. Both have turned out wonderfully.

*To make pancakes, combine 1 1/2 c. mix with 1 egg and 1/2 – 1 c. water. (Start with a 1/2 c. water and add more as needed until desired consistency.)

On my second attempt making this mix I substituted 2 cups of whole wheat pastry flour for 2 cups of the all-purpose flour and sucanat for the sugar. The final product (pancakes) was just as good as with the original recipe. I'm going to experiment more next time by trying to replace some or all of the butter with coconut butter (coconut oil in its solid state) to make this recipe even healthier.

* * Edited to Add * *
I've now made all the substitutions and this mix still works great for pancakes. I have not tried it in any other baking so far, but I think it will work fine. I'm now using 3 cups whole wheat pastry flour, 2 cups all-purpose flour, 1/4 cup sucanat, and 1/2 cup coconut butter (coconut oil in solid form).

You’ll find all kinds of new recipes this weekend at Heavenly Homemakers Recipe Parade!!
Homemade Bisquick Mix Works for Me!
For more frugal ideas visit Life as Mom.

Do you have any favorite Homemade Mixes that shorten your time in the kitchen? We'd love to hear about them.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for posting this. I had only been able to find the ones with shortening. I will definately be trying this one.

December 2, 2009 at 7:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always wanted a recipe for baking mix. Thankyou it will come in handy
vickie

December 2, 2009 at 1:48 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

Thank you! I'm bookmarking this...I too do not use shortening, so never have Bisquick in the house. This will be a timesaver!

December 2, 2009 at 7:23 PM  
Anonymous It Feels Like Chaos said...

Thanks for sharing this recipe; I'm trying to make more things from scratch so I'm bookmarking it!

December 2, 2009 at 9:04 PM  
Blogger Jelli said...

Thanks for sharing. I've seen many Bisquick imitations, but have been hesitant to try them because of the fat addition and worrying that it would turn rancid. Freezer storage is the perfect solution! I have a fantastic recipe for knock-off Red Lobster garlic cheese biscuits that uses Bisquick and I've had cravings for them, but couldn't afford the mix. You've come to my rescue! Thanks.

December 3, 2009 at 1:07 PM  
Blogger SimplyFrugal said...

Thanks for the recipe! It's going to come in very handy!

December 4, 2009 at 1:14 PM  
Anonymous nichole said...

Thanks for sharing! My husband likes to make pancakes for the kids on the weekends, and every time we buy a box of bisquik I think, "I'm sure we could make this." I'm going to make some this weekend!

November 3, 2010 at 12:39 PM  
Blogger Marni's Organized Mess said...

Mmmm.... You've got some tasty treats here! I love it!



Please do come by and visit me! Or, I've got my Organized Mess on Facebook now, will you "like" me?

November 8, 2010 at 2:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home